GIVING THANKS – What are you thankful for?
On 09, Oct 2017 | In Blog | By Ruth
Though by now we all know better, on most mundane days we still tend to focus on the empty half of the glass. We get caught up in little aggravations, we worry about everything, and small things can throw us off balance rather quickly. We seem to focus on what we have not yet accomplished and do not have, or our ever-growing to-do list.
From time to time, when we encounter a truly difficult situation or are shaken by bad news, we pause to recognize how peaceful our lives had been before. We realize that we lost so much time and energy on everyday trivialities, which pale in comparison and seem almost embarrassing. We then decide to live more “in the moment” and avoid sweating the small stuff. Often this decision guides us for a few days, sometimes weeks but eventually, the daily routine sets in, old habits creep in and often get the better of us.
It’s that time of year again, when the days are shorter, the air is crisper, and the leaves are changing their colours. It is somewhere between Victoria Day and the first sign of Halloween decorations, when I feel it is important to take some time to reflect on all the things I can be thankful for and shouldn’t take for granted.
- Good health of my immediate family.
- Guardian angels – I have no scientific proof but I know they are there. I am grateful for their work behind the scenes, in times and places beyond my control.
- Good friends – we may need only a few that we can really count on.
- Freedom –I’m very thankful to live in a place where freedom of religion, speech, sexual orientation, and gender equality are (more or less) a given.
- Creativity – creativity plays a major role in my life. Beyond graphic design it is a source of inspiration, of personal growth and sometimes a refuge – all at the same time.
- Curiosity – I am grateful for this hunger to acquire new tastes, to discover new places, to meet new people, to try new things (even if it means overcoming fear).
- Weekends – there’s something magical about weekends. If only they weren’t so short…
- The bigger picture – I am grateful for the opportunity to be involved in several community projects that are close to my heart and to have the privilege to collaborate with talented, passionate people.
- Second chances – cannot be taken for granted but are extremely appreciated (in all areas of life). It’s nice to meet people who believe in them too.
- Time – As I mature (which really just means “as I grow older”), I realize more and more that time is the most precious commodity. I hope to get better at using it well (which may mean different things to different people).
What are you thankful for?
#HappyThanksGiving #GiveThanks #blessed #autumn #CountYourBlessings #thankfulness #thanks #giving